Monthly Mixtape: March
It’s the End of the World as We Know It
Animal Crossing inspired j-card
This months tape follows a central theme of destruction per a readers request. Destruction and apocalyptic themes are often in the domain of heavy metal, but I wanted to avoid making a tape of just one genre. The doom and gloom of the Cold War found its way into the most popular of music, so this helped mitigate the issue of monotony.
This months j-card (which will need reprinted, HP ink be damned) is influenced by the Animal Crossing series of video games. The life simulator is an easy going game that focuses on tranquility and being kind to your animal neighbors. The contrast of the j-card with the contents of the music is welcome.
The order of mixtapes is tricky; never want to put together random songs and you want to tell a narrative. This tape front loads the heavy material and eases the listener into poppier tunes the longer it goes on. The files are found on YouTube, and this is the list. Enjoy!
- No World for Tomorrow – Coheed and Cambria
- Black Hole Sun – Soundgarden
- Cult of Personality – Living Colour
- Governed by Contagions – At the Drive-In
- Into the Void – Black Sabbath
- First We Take Manhattan – Leonard Cohen
- 2 Minutes to Midnight – Iron Maiden
- 99 Luftballoons – Nena
- 1999 – Prince
- The End of the World – The Cure